Don't take risks with thatched properties
Engaging a competent and thorough building surveyor is crucial in helping to reduce the risk of fire in a thatched property – and there are more sources of fire risk than you might think.
In data collected over the last 18 years, the UK has seen the equivalent of the loss of one thatched building per week due to fire, currently totalling 994 properties. For chimney-related fires alone, costs exceed £25 million per year.
Typical risks range from the condition of chimney stacks, unsuitable solid fuel stoves and vermin eating through electric cables, through to poorly positioned lighting and even the work carried out by tradesmen. Whether you’re looking to buy a thatched property or maintain an existing one, obtaining a full and thorough building survey can go a long way towards reducing the risk of fire.
A thorough building survey will serve to highlight any areas where fire risks are present, such as identifying whether a solid fuel stove’s size is inappropriate for the size of the room in which it’s located, if a spark arrestor fitted to a chimney pot actually constitutes a fire risk in itself, or whether PVC conduits fitted over electric cables in a loft have been unwisely sited on purlins so that they’re at risk of being damaged by a thatcher from outside. Thatch netting and outdoor lighting, if not properly installed, can also be the source of a potential fire risk.
For the peace of mind that comes with a thorough building survey, contact us.
- Home buyer surveys
- Full building surveys
- Listed/cherished building surveys
- Building defect reports
- Party wall matters
08 Oct 2018
Keeping up to date with party wall matters
26 Sep 2018
Learning about Mi Buy To Let Surveys
05 Sep 2018
Helping buy-to-let landlords stay compliant
Newsletter sign up
A new and unique Mi Buy To Let survey product is to be released shortly. Update to follow end of month. https://t.co/Xa3u0fa6E5
Nice one! Couple illegally converted their garage into an extra house https://t.co/wGSMDVkYyB
Give your house an MOT this week! https://t.co/npwMLuygBt